Thinking about when I have felt the urge to write a song or lyric it usually happens at a time when I am alone and thinking about a certain emotion or feeling. My creativity usually grows from my time to assess things in my life or in the world as it is at the moment. Being able to turn some analytical thoughts into something poetic and moving can be a challenge. Thinking back on those times I have been successful with that I would say this is what happens.
- I’m alone without distractions, often not intentionally.
- I always have a way to record the lyric as they appear in my mind
- After I have the lyric I focus on a melody that complements the tone of the lyric.
- Sometimes I hear the melody ahead of the lyric and when this happens the lyric usually comes later at another time.
- During this process, I feel a release in my soul that I am expressing what I feel needs to be told.
- Describe your normal studio or workplace.
My workplace is typically in a section of my home that is a loft area that holds a keyboard and also an office space.
- Describe your makeshift studio or workplace in a time of social distancing or isolation.
It is in my home so nothing is different.
- How has sharing your work with co-creatives or others shifted?
The social distancing has made it very difficult to get together and work on new materials. Much of that is not happening right now.
- What is your favorite non-art oriented activity that inspires you?
Working out inspires me. In fact I wrote a song one time from what sounds I heard the elliptical machine was making. Crazy.
- How has working in a socially distant environment affected your work?
It has prevented me from doing any performing and cancelled all the events I had for the spring and summer.
- What is your favorite go-to snack after long hours working on you artistic practice?
I don’t snack.
- What are one/two of your favorite books that resonate with you and/or your practice?
The bible, other books that are not easy reading but put a passion in my heart (social justice types).
- Who are one/two of your favorite artists that inspire you?
Barbra Streisand, Laura Nyro, Nina Simone, Rachelle Farrell.