- be 19 years old or older
- be a resident of Nebraska for two years prior to the application date and remain a resident of Nebraska during the fellowship award period of one year.
- submit an attestation of Nebraska residency at least 24 months before submission and attestation of intent to remain in Nebraska during Fellowship, if selected.
- not be enrolled in an undergraduate program in the artistic field in which the application is being made.
- If applicant is enrolled in a graduate or PhD program for the artistic field, the applicant is eligible to apply.
- be the originator of the work, not an interpreter of the work of others.
- All previous fellowship winners are eligible to reapply. Previous winners complete their grant award requirement to be eligible, submit work not previously part of an award-winning application and can only apply every three years.
Previous fellowship applicants and recipients are eligible to reapply. Past recipients must complete their previous final report to be eligible, cannot submit work that was included in the winning application and can only apply every three years.