The Arts Accessibility Grant for Event Services provides reimbursement funds for services that increase the ability of persons with disabilities and persons with limited English proficiency to access the arts. Funds can be used for licensed services used in connection with an arts or cultural event held virtually, indoors, outdoors, or a combination of all three, provided the sponsor assures that they will adhere to COVID safety procedures, as determined by local health officials. This grant program is made possible with support from the Nebraska Cultural Endowment.
Eligible Expenses for Reimbursement
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Fees for licensed American Sign Language Interpreter(s).
- Fees for licensed Audio Description Services.
- Fees for captioning services.
- Fees for language translation services.
- Contact Nebraska Arts Council (NAC) staff for additional guidance if your expense is not listed.
Eligible applicants include federal tax-exempt nonprofit organizations incorporated in Nebraska, public agencies and governmental sub-divisions. Colleges and universities may apply only when significant public participation is planned, with substantial evidence of service beyond the campus community. Basic Support Grant (BSG) and Annual Series and Events (ASE) grantees are eligible.
Restrictions of the Category
PreK-12 accredited schools are not eligible to apply. Funds may only be used to support accessibility services for arts events or programs. Applicants may submit one or more applications per year. However, applicants cannot request more than the maximum amount, $1,500, in one fiscal year.
How to Apply
Your answer to the following question will determine your application process: Will the access service be provided no matter what or only if a patron requests a service?
- No Matter What – Apply now! Applications are due at least 6 weeks before the event date. Final applications will be submitted through NAC’s online grant system. For assistance in creating an account in the NAC grants system, please email email@example.com or call 402-595-2124.
- Only Upon Request – Email a Letter of Intent (LOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org. LOIs must include the following – Short description of the proposed event(s). Service(s) for which funds are being requested. Estimated cost for the service(s). After receipt of the LOI, applicants will receive an email from NAC staff with further instructions.
Applications or LOIs must be received at least 6 weeks before the proposed event date(s). Applications requesting funds for services Only Upon Request will be due 2 weeks prior to the event date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as far in advance as possible. Events must take place within the current NAC fiscal year, or by June 30, 2022.
Applicants can request a maximum award of $1,500 per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) $300 per event or $1,500 for a series of five (5) or more events.
This is a reimbursement grant program. Actual payment of grant funds will occur after the event is completed and upon successful submission of Final Report documents. Final Reports are due 30 days after the event (or series of events) and are submitted through the NAC online grants system.
Please assemble the following documents prior to submitting your Final Report:
- A copy of the organization’s W-9 form if applicant organization has not applied previously.
- A copy of the invoice from the interpreter, describer, or captioning service.
- Additional invoices/receipts necessary to show costs covered by the grant funds.
- Copies of letters or emails sent to elected officials such as state legislators. Letters should indicate that the event(s) was made accessible through assistance from Nebraska Arts Council.
Nebraska Arts Council reimburses for actual costs up to the amount of the grant within 60 days after receipt of the Final Report.
Resources: For a list of recommended service providers and additional resources about arts accessibility, please visit the arts accessibility page.
Have questions about NAC’s Accessibility Grant programs, outreach, services or resources? Please contact call (402) 595-2122 or send an email to email@example.com.